In 2005 I worked in Egypt as a Trading Controller for a large Tour Operator and was based in the resort of Sharm El Sheik. Whilst on a trip to the head office in Luxor, I was in the hotel lobby with my boss waiting for the rest of our party to join us. We waited for 5 minutes and in this time, he decided to tell me about a model called ‘The Jahari window’.
Devised by American psychologists Joseph Luft and Harry Ingham in 1955 ‘The Jaharai window’ model is used for understanding and training self-awareness, personal development, improving communications, interpersonal relationships, group dynamics, team development and inter-group relationships.
It is a grid that shows you …
- What is known by the person about him/herself and is also known by others – open area, open self, free area, free self, or ‘the arena’
- What is unknown by the person about him/herself, but which others know – blind area, blind self, or ‘blind spot’
- What the person knows about him/herself that others do not know – hidden area, hidden self, avoided area, avoided self or ‘facade’
- What is unknown by the person about him/herself and is also unknown by others – unknown area or unknown self.
I remember one of my fellow managers not believing that I was shown this important model literally on the back of a fag packet as it requires time to digest! What I really wanted to understand in more depth was number 2 ….
What is unknown by the person about him/herself, but which others know – blind area, blind self, or ‘blind spot’.
The fact that there were things people knew about me that I did not know about myself.
I could not understand that there were parts of me that others knew about, but I did not. That there are parts of us that we are unable to see.
Since I have embarked on my journey with numerology, I understand more and more that it is hard for us to see ourselves clearly and objectively,
The numbers help us do this; they help us see the important sides of us that we are unable to see.
Enter stage left the title of this blog … A fish does not know that it swims in water …
Like the Jahari window model numerology helps you …
- Understand yourself.
- Increase your level of self-awareness.
- Develop yourself personally.
- Improve your communication skills.
- Improve and work with your interpersonal relationships in group and team situations.
Numbers help us by highlighting the energies we are working with, enabling us to step outside of ourselves and examine how these energies influence us in a thousand tiny ways every minute of every day.
For example, before my study of myself through the lens of numerology I did not realise that …
- I can be so hyper focused that sometimes I miss out on opportunities.
- I can want all the i’s dotted and the t’s crossed and life does not work like this.
- I can be too accommodating and caring and helpful to the detriment of myself.
- I can not have any boundaries in place until it is too late.
- I must be self-employed! 😊
But because I now know this, my numbers encourage me to step back and assess situations before it is too late.
When I deliver sessions with my clients, I literally see light bulbs go off on their face when I impart information that cuts through years of therapy (words my client used about Bizology).
Numerology shows you what is really going on, which often we are so close too that we cannot see.
We want to use the abstract information that the numbers give us as top-level guidance. We do not want to go down rabbit holes.
Yes, Numerology is a method by which we recognise our divinity and connection. It is a key to freedom. A cosmic clock. A route to self-knowledge and understanding. But it is not a ‘one and done’ – it is a journey. Less is more, we require a deepening of the information we already have.
When we know our …
- Life Path number.
- 4 Roads – we are made up of 4 energies.
- Personal Year.
- Information from our name.
We can make thousands of connections to make the right choices in our lives.
Numerology is cosmic guidance …
- If we are struggling or feel lost, we always come back to our Life Path and Approach numbers
- There are numbers that are easier to be.
- If we have an excess of a number that reveals an extreme talent in an area.
- Some personal years can be challenging years. There are years where we are being called to slow down. There are upheaval and change years – however we need these years to reset.
- If you have a number, you have it for a reason.
Some numbers …
- Have tunnel vision.
- Can be hyper focused.
- Lose perspective.
- Have extremities.
- Are easy to work with and this can get us into trouble!
- Push you to get your head down.
It is an individual journey – we are only ready and available for what we are ready and available for.
When you work in the positive of a number life is not perfect (as it is not meant to be) but we experience a sense of rightness with our life.
I have regular Bizology dates with myself, as by understanding my numbers on a deeper level I understand what they are asking me to do. I encourage my clients to do this too.
Numerology is not a subject composed of facts that need to be understood. It is a journey of exploration where each insight we gain from the numbers helps us develop and expand our own awareness and knowledge of ourselves.
And from this place tiny tweaks and adjustments with our behaviour and awareness results in massive changes in our life and business (as you can not have one without the other) on a daily basis.
To speak to Jo about how she can help you understand you numbers on a deeper level book a discovery call here – https://calendly.com/bizologywithjosoley/20min?month=2021-02